August 31, 2021
With the ever-changing landscape of this pandemic that is our current, shared reality, the Shakori Hills Community Arts Center Board of Directors has issued a venue policy requiring proof of covid vaccination or a negative covid test result within 72 hours of arrival at all events, including Hoppin’ John. This policy applies to attendees, performers, staff and volunteers age 16 and older.
Our goal at Hoppin’ John has always been to have a safe, family-friendly event where we gather to enjoy the music that we love. Based on the recommendation of health and government officials, combined with information from the CDC about case rates, the board felt that a vaccine or negative test requirement is currently the only way to provide this safe environment, now that the highly contagious Delta variant is surging amongst us.
We strongly recommend that everyone attending the 2021 fiddlers’ convention get vaccinated to protect themselves and others. Vaccines are free and available at most local pharmacies. If vaccination is not an option for you and you still wish to attend, bring the results of your negative test dated within 72 hours of your arrival. This policy was enacted with the health of our greater community in mind, particularly children 12 and under.
Additional safety measures:
- Contests: All microphones will be sanitized between each contestant or performer.
- Dances: The Rowdy Square Dance has been canceled due to the nature of the fast-paced, late-night close contact dancing. The Friday night dance with the Hoppin’ Johnnies is now a freestyle “hoedown” without called dances. The Saturday family dance workshop will continue, as of now, with added safety measures. Plan on coming to the dances with your “pod” and keeping the squares distanced.
- Masks: We encourage folks to wear a mask when away from their campsite. Masks will be required for adults, inside tents.
- Distancing: We ask that you practice social distancing throughout the event. We will help facilitate this with signage and verbal reminders from volunteers and staff.
- Sanitization: Sanitizer stations have been added around the property and will be noted on the map. Bathrooms and portalets will be cleaned and sanitized on a schedule recommended by the local health department.
- Health attestation: Staff and volunteers will be screened before their shifts. We will no longer be requiring health attestation forms for attendees, given the vaccine/negative test requirement.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.